Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yarn Bombed


My job is never boring. Honestly. Even on a slow day at Yarnology there is always something to keep us busy and entertained. The creativity never ceases to permeate the air and that usually results in fun, often wacky projects. Today was one of those days. This past week I was visiting my home town, spending Mother’s Day with my mom and seeing lots of friends and family. After being gone for so long I wasn’t sure what would be waiting for me when I walked through Yarnology’s doors. There’s always a possibility of being greeted by new yarn, new pattern books, new designer bags. But today, that wasn’t the case. That’s way too predictable. There on the floor of the shop is my friend and fellow Yarnologist Amanda in the process of covering an old Fisher-Price car with swatches of yarn. Hmmm. Not your usual work-day activity. Then again, this isn’t your usual place of work. To make a long story short, it was our job today to “yarn-bomb” this car which will be featured in an upcoming window display (regulars to our shop, just you wait! It’s going to be awesome!).
           For anyone who doesn’t know what yarn-bombing is, I’ll try and explain myself. Yarn-bombing is basically harmless graffiti. It’s also referred to as yarnstorming, guerrilla knitting, urban knitting or graffiti knitting, according to Wikipedia (I know, I know, I’m using Wikipedia. Didn’t I learn anything researching papers in college? Obviously not.) Knitters go around to different public places and wrap, cover, adorn things in yarn or knitted pieces. It’s more fun if you do this in secret, preferably at night in order to catch the unsuspecting citizen off guard. Who wouldn’t be surprised to drive down the street and see benches, trees, and light poles decorated in colorful fiber? That’s the kind of thing that makes an average day just a little bit better. Yarn-bombing a public place is technically illegal. Technically. It has become amazingly popular recently though, and you don’t often hear about anyone getting in trouble for it. The fact is, this type of “graffiti” is ten times less troublesome than spray paint or chalk and let’s be honest, it’s pretty darn cool. Winona has seen occasional yarn-bombing in the past and I’m sure there will be more in the future, so keep your eyes out for anything colorful and fuzzy in places where it’s not supposed to be. Some of our customers have taken notice of the craze and one regular gifted us with an actual yarn bomb. Literally. A bomb… made of yarn (ha!).

        I sat there this afternoon, crocheting swatches of yarn onto this car, and I confess, I couldn’t help laughing to myself. Yes, I WAS getting paid to yarn-bomb a car. How great is that. Another reason why I can’t help loving my job.








These are just a few examples I found online that I just needed to share! :) Hopefully they will inspire some crafty people to start yarn-bombing!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see a pic of that yarn-bombed car. I love the idea behind it... one more way to make this world a funkier place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You knitters are just over-the-top mad caps! Can you do my house?

    ReplyDelete