Monday, August 27, 2012

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery." -Jane Austen

         Wow, it’s already the end of August and school is once again in session. This time around, however, I am not joining the throngs of backpack clad students who are swarming the WSU campus. As you all know from my earlier posts, I graduated this past May and am now a part of the working world (though my job rarely ever feels like real work). When I really sit and think about how I won’t be attending classes anymore, I get sentimental and quite sad. I love to learn and I really enjoyed being in the kind of academic atmosphere that my classes provided. On the flip side, when I remember that there will be no more papers and projects and other stressful things that come with college, I breathe a sigh of relief. A huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
         
         Yesterday, a friend and coworker of mine asked what I would do on the first day of fall semester, the first day that I did not have to attend classes. She suggested that I do all the things I never had time to do during school. That got me thinking; what did I have to sacrifice during my college years due to lack of time? Well, for one thing I was never able to read all the books I wanted to. As an English major I always had a stack of novels and short stories that I was required to read. I ended up enjoying most of them, but reading a book out of requirement is different than just picking one up of your own accord. There’s always a bit of resentment attached when you have no choice about your reading material. Since my shelves are packed with books waiting to be read or reread, I’ll have no problem making up a long list of titles to occupy me in my newly acquired free time.

           It will come as no surprise that I’m also looking forward to knitting more than I could while in school. This summer I was able to accomplish quite a few projects despite my phase of low motivation, but usually knitting would be put on the back burner at the start of school. Now I can continue with all the projects I am currently working on and those I have been contemplating for a time. There are a few pattern books on my shelf that I am just itching to work from and now I hope I will be able to. The Jane Austen Knits magazines, chock full of literary inspired knitting projects from her novels and time period, have been calling my name for months now. I received the first one as a Christmas present from my sister and brother-in-law last year and practically jumped up and down when I saw how it was a combination of two of my favorite things: literature and knitting. Unfortunately, time really does fly and suddenly it was six months later and a new Jane Austen Knits was being published and released. Of course I had to buy that one too. I have the best of intentions and hopefully I will be able to use them before the third edition (yes, another set of Austen inspired patterns comes out in the fall) is on magazine stands. I confess, I plan on collecting all of these publications whether or not I end up knitting everything in them. They’re just fun to have. Jane Austen is one of my favorite novelists and I've either read or seen adaptations of almost all of her books. There's something comforting about sitting down with a good Austen romance, a cup of tea, and the sun smiling on your face (I recommend reading Jane Austen on a quiet sunny day, perhaps in a garden or on a front porch; this will guarantee a full experience of her work). Just thinking about that makes me want to knit up a few shawls or stockings. And I think I know of a good place where I can find a few patterns. :)

 
           And so, as I wrap up writing this post, my mind jumps to the students sequestered in classrooms, busily scribbling notes or typing away at laptops. I can’t help but smile in both relief and longing. Part of me is wishing I was there with them, but the other part is doing a cartwheel, thrilled with the feeling of freedom that I now have.

No comments:

Post a Comment