Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Knit the Vote

          Today, as everyone knows, was a very important day in America. It was a chance to experience democracy first hand; to see in effect what the men and women of the Revolution fought for. Early this morning I stepped out of the house, coffee in hand just in case I had to wait in line, to register and cast my ballot. The weather was cold, rainy, and thoroughly depressing, but my roommate Elizabeth and I didn’t mind. We wanted to get in and out before the rush. Though I voted in the 2008 election, I was still excited to be a part of the democratic process. It was very satisfying filling in that bubble and then putting my ballot in the counter. I wore my “I Voted” sticker all day at work and was happy to see most of our customers and other passersby proudly sporting red stickers on their jackets and shirts too.

            Though I won’t go into my political views (I have strong ones, but I don't want to offend anyone) I will say that this election makes me very nervous. I know the stakes are high, and I’ve been anxious all day to find out what the results will be. There are so many controversial and important issues on the line, and I just pray that this election will end in a way that’s best for the American people. My uneasiness over this whole process has not gone away throughout the day and it actually may have increased now that I’m home from work and watching CBS’s live coverage. Elizabeth is napping on the couch, preparing herself for a late night watching results and I’m listening intently while I type, catching the latest breaking news in respect to the election. Soon I’ll have to take out my knitting so I can relax and keep busy while waiting out the next few hours. I’m experiencing a strange combination of excitement, unease, and dread thinking through the possible outcomes. Maybe all of you are experiencing similar emotions, though I’m sure we don’t all share the same political views; at least we can rest assured that we did all we could to influence the result.

            Sitting here thinking about it, I really wouldn’t be surprised if I finished a record amount of knitting tonight. I will be furiously moving my needles either in frustration or excitement. Whichever way, this election will definitely result in personal productivity. :-) Good luck to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment