Thursday, January 24, 2013

Procrastination

            One of my resolutions for the New Year was not to procrastinate. On anything. I’m known for putting things off whether it be making a doctor’s appointment, doing homework, or returning phone calls. And now that I have this blog, I’ve noticed that I’ve begun to put off writing new posts. I make excuses like "I have nothing to write about" (so not true), "I don’t have time", or (when I’m being really truthful) "I’m just too lazy". It’s no surprise that I’ve already broken my resolution many times in the first twenty four days of 2013.

After my very long Christmas post, I felt all blogged out and though I meant to write about my yarn-related goals for this new year we’re in, I never got around to it. Shame on me. But there’s no time like the present, right? So here we go. Over the last couple of days I’ve been going through my stash of yarn which has grown considerably over the past year and is now threatening to overtake any available space in my bedroom. The sad thing is is that I really hadn’t noticed how large it had gotten. When you work in a yarn store and see shelves upon shelves of yarn every day you’re a little desensitized. Coming home to a few bins and boxes of yarn doesn’t seem like a big deal. Until you lay it out on your living room floor to take stock of it all. I suddenly realized that I probably had over a year’s worth of projects in front of me. And that’s if I didn’t buy any more yarn, like that’s going to happen. I’m happy to say that I didn’t have a panic attack, but I did seriously reevaluate my obsession with yarn. New resolution! Use up the gosh darn stash!! Most of the yarn in it is meant for specific projects, so before I get crazy and buy the brand new yarn for the brand new pattern, I have to remember all the gorgeous stuff I have waiting back home. I have other yarn and spinning related goals for 2013, but busting my stash is probably the most important one. It’s always fun to buy more, but it can get us yarn junkies in trouble…

Besides sharing a couple of my most important resolutions, I also wanted to briefly mention that soon I will be celebrating my two year anniversary with Yarnology. I’m not sure of the exact day that I started working there in January of 2011, but it was towards the end of the month that Gaby asked me to come in on a Saturday and start training. I remember that I was nervous and deathly afraid of being asked a knitting question since I really only knew how to knit and purl at that time. I’ve been knitting since I was around nine years old, but making a scarf was as far as I had ventured. Kelly was teaching a class that day when I arrived and I remember Gaby making a big pot of coffee and serving it around to everyone. That’s when I knew for sure that I loved it there. Yarn, friendly faces, AND coffee? Sounds like heaven. Since then I’ve grown as a knitter, a salesperson, and as a person in general. I honestly can’t imagine my life without the people I’ve gotten to know and the craft that is now such an essential part of my life. I’m so grateful for the opportunities that Gaby and Kelly have given me and I look forward to seeing what the next two years will bring!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Jenny Sue! I'm so proud of you and your accomplishments! Here's to many more years at Yarnology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2nd Anniversary Jenny Sue!! So happy that you are happy!! Not to mention all the wonderful things you knit for us!!!!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete